Sunday, September 7, 2014

"STARTING THINGS OFF"

The first blog is always the toughest.  Just like the first few sentences of a novel or the initial 10 minutes of a movie, it sets the tone and eventually helps capture the interest of the reader or viewer.  Now, I've done blogs in the past and tried to make it as perfect as possible.  I tried to design it to make it easy to navigate and posted blogs of what I thought readers wanted to read.

"Where are those blogs now you ask?"  They're in blog purgatory...archived and never to be seen again.

So this time around, I decided just to post whatever came to mind.  Whatever struck my fancy at that moment. Since this IS "My Hobby Realm", I won't worry about what people want to read.  I'll just simply blog away, make it as interesting to me as possible and then entertain (maybe even help) some of you in the process.

Below is a drawing of an iconic martial artist.  I'm really proud of this drawing.  Not just because it turned out looking like who I set out to draw but I was more proud on how I went about drawing the picture.

Bruce Lee - "The Game of Death", illustrated July 2014 - Pencil medium (2H and HB)

The need to draw him simply hit me one day even though I had been planning to draw him for several, yes several, months but just couldn't find the "perfect" time.  I didn't even draw on my drafting table where most of my work is done.  I simply took the reference photo which I printed on bond paper, my sketch pad, two pencils (2H and HB), an eraser and then sat on my bed in front of the TV and began to sketch.  Next thing you know, viola!  It's not perfect and I think I've done better work but every time I look at this drawing it makes me happy.

"Why does it make me happy?"  I really can't pinpoint why, it just does and that's the cool thing about art and hobbies.  It's not about perfection or pleasing others, it's all about doing something that makes you happy like nothing else in the world.  Till my next post.  Thanks, everyone!   

1 comment:

  1. Remember the line...it makes me happy! That is what matters the most! We make our own happiness.

    ReplyDelete