Tuesday, September 23, 2014

ART: Superheroes and Kicks

I was basically hooked on two things growing up, comic books and sneakers.  So it was inevitable that I merged those two passions through my original passion, ART.  Below are a few illustrations I've done over the last several years of my favorite comic book characters wearing sneakers.  Hope you enjoy viewing them as I did drawing them. 


My first exposure to Batman was through the TV series starring Adam West and only knew the "campy" version of the Caped Crusader.  Fast forward to 1986 and I am introduced to the Dark Knight courtesy of Frank Miller which solidified my diehard fan status up to this day.  I originally drew Batman wearing the Zoom Kobe V "Dark Knight" edition which was quite appropriate.  I finished the piece using colored markers.  A couple of years later, I decided to give the drawing the Photoshop treatment and a new pair of kicks to go with it, the Air Jordan XI "Breds".
    

What would Batman be without the Joker?  Below I have the Clown Prince of Crime wearing one of my favorite pair of sneakers, the Zoom Kobe VI "Chaos" edition which was inspired by none other than the Joker himself.


It's true that the likes of Shaquille O'Neal and Dwight Howard have laid claim to be the Superman of the NBA but I would have to say no one comes closest to the "Man of Steel" than his "Airness" himself, Michael Jordan.  Here is Superman wearing a SE (Superhero Exclusive, I made that up) colorway of the Air Jordan XX8.
    

Now it wouldn't be right if I didn't draw my all time favorite comic book superhero sporting some pretty cool kicks.  Here's our friendly neighborhood Spider-man wearing the Air Jordan XI "Breds" and "Concords".  I owned a pair of these back in 1996 when they first released.  The Air Jordan XI is probably my all time favorite sneaker.  The pose on the left might look familiar to some basketball fans. (Hint: It's from the 1988 Slam Dunk Contest)


I saw an Adidas ad a few years back with Derrick Rose flying through the air and thought that it looked very Spider-man~esque.  So here's Spidey (left) in that exact pose wearing Derrick's signature shoe at that time.  The drawing on the right has Spider-man wearing his own custom KB9 sneakers as he swings above the city ready to fight crime and injustice.
   

It just wouldn't be right for me not to draw Peter's number one gal wearing some sweet kicks.  So here's Mary Jane wearing a pair of Kay Yow "Think Pink" Zoom Kobe Vs.  Till my next post.  Thanks, everyone!
     

6 comments:

  1. Galing! I like the last pix tho, MJ wearing kobe's.. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It just felt right to have MJ wear these Kobes.

      Delete
  2. That drawing of Spidey rocking the Concord 11's AMAZING!!! Tattoo worthy 1000%

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would be cool to see it on a tattoo.

      Delete